Saturday, March 13, 2010

The Color Purple

Have you ever seen something as magnificent as this?
Pairs my love of mid-century modern furniture (love you, Mies van der Rohe) and the color purple... especially plum... sigh. 

I recently read an article in Real Simple about the color purple in interiors... which got me on a hunt for beautiful purple rooms. Beautiful purple rooms, do they exist, you ask? Why yes....

 Monochromatic color scheme- all varying shades of purples and greys.

A neutral room with a POP of fuschia/purple! Definitely my style. 


Isn't this fabulous? This pinky purple is so warm! I don't think I'd paint an entire room this color... 
maybe an accent wall or two. 
from AT.


Here's an example of the accent wall done well.
via AT.


I remember this image from the first time I saw it in Domino. I thought it displayed such good tonal layering. The gingham table cloth and vintage wooden dining chairs help too.
image from domino, via City Sage and AT. 




 So these monochromatic examples are cool and all... but I love punches of color....




If I had seen this color palette during the schematic design phases of the project, I would have been skeptical. How did they make powder blue, scarlet, lime green, and plum all work together without looking crazy-overwhelming? I dunno, but I love it. And I especially love that light fixture. Anyone know who makes it?
via. from here

The article from Real Simple had some great tips for Purple:

Best Dark Purple for a Living Room
Pelt 254* farrow-ball.com
"Serious drama. Great with moss green or lipstick red accents"


Best Dark Purple for a Dining Room
Poetic Purple 1010-5 lowes.com
“A rich color like this, with more red than blue, is gorgeous with dark wood furniture.”


Best Dark Purple for a Fireplace Wall
Academy Purple VM163 ralphlaurenhome.com
“It works like edgy art to bring attention to the hearth.”

Best Soft Purple for a Statement Piece
Purple Dahlia IB102* ralphlaurenhome.com
“A fun way to spruce up a flea-market side chair.”


Best Soft Purple for a Bathroom
Jasmine ML21 ralphlaurenhome.com
“A step up from white, it’s not overpowering but adds elegance.”


Now who wants to add some purple into their lives?! I do. Really, I do. 

xoxo,

No comments:

Post a Comment